In recent years, many thousands here in the USA have made the journey into the Orthodox Christian faith. Referred to globally as the Eastern Orthodox Church (after all, Christianity is an eastern faith), you will often hear it called by the local region or nation they are in ( i.e. Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Serbian Orthodox, Japanese Orthodox, etc.). But these national and cultural differences have no bearing on doctrine, theology, unity or universality (catholicity) – it is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church founded by our Lord Jesus Christ, through the work of His Apostles.
If you’re looking for Christianity with an orthodox doctrine, morals and worship, this is it.
Orthodox Christianity is not just something we think, it is a faith put into action: reading the Holy Scriptures, receiving the Holy Mysteries (sacraments), prayer, worship, fasting, alms giving – all facets of the spiritual life. And most of all Truth in Love.
St. Maximus the Confessor said, “Theology without action is the theology of demons.”
The Orthodox Church is “original issue” Christianity (Our newest service is about 1,300 years old.):
- Our faith is the Faith handed down by the Apostles, much older than western ‘expressions’ of Christianity.
- It is the Christianity that has not been hijacked by the mind and culture of the times;
- The Church that preserves the gospel of Jesus Christ as it has been handed down to us by the fathers of the faith;
- Worship of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit – not altered to fit into our current world view but preserved as the Faith of those who knew Him best!
- We are Ancient Christianity, the repository of the Truth and the Church whose foundation was laid down by the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.